Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Risky business: Finding Joy

So the past few days have been a true growing experience. Last night there was a church meeting 18 to 30 women and the younger ones could bring their parents. It was so uplifting. The last speaker really touched me. His topic was "The Joy of Taking Risk". 

My mind bounced from a few different thoughts. What is this guy thinking? Risks and joy, do they even go together? If they do go together, how does it apply to me?

The speaker was named Elder Sinclair. He is an Area 70 in my church. He started with discussing the concept of  performance management. The story of the prince who asked Christ what he needed to do to be with God again. This story is found in  Mark 10:17-22. My interpretation has always been "Okay, he just wanted to know what else he needed to do."
 Elder Sinclair's was different.  The prince wanted a pat on the head and Christ to say "well done my good and faithful servant". Instead, Christ said give up all the things of this world and follow me. 

Doing the will of God leads to joy. I have been more happy doing the things that I know are right. This man left the presence of Christ down trodden. He said he couldn't do what Christ was asking to do. The man was not ready to take the risk.  

Are we ready to take the risks God needs us to take?


No comments:

Post a Comment